Heat wave driving tips: Protecting yourself and your car this summer
24th Jul 2019
Chelsea Truck Company Jeep Wrangler Black Hawk edition, complete with a retractable Targa Roof is ideal for discerning commuters as Britain braces for 39C temperatures on what could be the country's hottest day on record.
Forecasters are predicting temperatures in some parts of the UK on Thursday could top the current record for a July day of 36.7C, set at Heathrow Airport in 2015. Whilst the mercury is high, the following tips will help keep your car and yourself safe in the heat of the un-British weather.
Keeping Your Vehicle Safe
1. Simply remove the Targa roof of your Black Hawk or CJ 300 and drive in the most exclusive of locations with a sense of serene detachment as the sun bears down on you.
Depending on how you look at it, the Black Hawk not only conveys expressive design language, taut lines and powerful contours, the focus on interplay between the highly sophisticated individual components is exceptional – so in other words – not only will you feel good – you will also look the part!
2. Another way to ensure safe summer driving is to check the tyre pressure. Tyres tend to be heat sensitive - so maintaining appropriate pressure is a must in the summer months to prevent heat stress and to get the best mileage possible.
Off-roaders heading towards the hills in their CTC Jeep Wranglers can reduce tyre pressure. However, it is important to mention, that not re-inflating your tyres when you get back can be very dangerous.
3. Cars are highly susceptible to overheating in warm weather conditions, so make sure that your radiator is working properly by frequently checking coolant levels.
4. Last but not least, plan ahead in terms of long-distance trips. Leave early in the morning and either set off late evening or get a good night sleep then set off the next day.
Keeping Yourself And Your Passengers Safe
1. This may seem like a no-brainer but wear appropriate clothing. Light coloured clothing made of natural fabrics will increase breathability and keep you cooler for longer. Also, if you like driving with the windows down, apply sun cream as you may be exposed to the sun for extended amounts of time.
2. Dehydration is dangerous, so take plenty of drinks with you, if you have a built-in fridge you must fill it, but keep away from sugary drinks, bring on the water and pure fruit juice.
3. You may have this one covered since everyone seems to be obsessed with technology, but keep your mobile phone charged. It is always useful to have a mobile phone ready to go in case of an emergency.
4. Window shades in the rear windows are a must to protect small children in hot weather. Children are particularly vulnerable to extreme temperatures, therefore the need to take extra precautions are necessary.
5. This is a very serious issue, never leave children or animals unattended in the car. There have been many heatstroke- related deaths of children in recent years and pets can suffer brain damage or even die of a heatstroke after only 15 minutes of exposure.
So there you go, follow these tips to ensure you enjoy a safe summer of driving in your Chelsea Truck Company Black Hawk or CJ300 editions.